Adapted from Sticky Finger’s Sweets, recipe supplied by Linda!
- 1 cup vegan butter (http://www.veganbaking.net/fats/vegan-butters/735-vegan-butter) or Earth Balance
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons anise extract
- 2/3 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 cups plus 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
*The original recipe calls for an optional 1 to 2 drops of lemon oil creamed in with the butter and sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract in place of my anise extract.
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Use a hand mixer if you don’t have a stand mixer, or develop those forearm muscles and mix by hand!
2. Slowly add the soy milk, lemon juice and anise extract to the sugar mixture and mix to combine.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a dough forms.
5. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
6. Preheat the oven to 350.
7. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
8. Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Place the dough between 2 sheets of parchment and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness. (I don’t do this. I lightly sprinkle flour on the counter, sprinkle my rolling pin and roll out.)
9. Cut with cookie cutters in the shape of your choice, and place on the parchment covered baking sheets.
10. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until the edges of the cookies just begin to lightly brown.
11. Using a spatula, remove the cookies from the pan and set on a wire rack to cool.
12. Frost, decorate, and enjoy!